Best Cars to Buy• Compare Vehicle Insurance Quotes • Liability Insurance Leads • Check Your Driving Record • Rental Car discount coupon • Convertible Car seats

2020 - TLSAE

The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles issues the following classes of licenses: Class A, B, C, and E.
Classes A, B, and C are for drivers of commercial motor vehicles such as large trucks and buses. Class E is for drivers of non-commercial vehicles. There is a separate manual entitled Commercial Driver License Manual for truck and bus drivers. This manual is available at any driver licenses office or on the Department's web page at If you wish to drive a motor vehicle you must be properly tested and licensed.

Who Needs One?
  • If you live in Florida and want to drive a motor vehicle on public streets and highways.
  • If you move to Florida and have a valid license from another state, you must get a Florida license within 30 days of becoming a resident.
You are considered a resident of Florida if you:
  • Enroll your children in public school, or
  • Register to vote, or
  • File for a homestead exemption, or
  • Accept employment, or
  • Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months.
Who Does Not Need One?
  • The following persons may drive in Florida without a Florida driver license, if they have a valid license from another state or country:
  • Any non-resident who is at least 16 years old.
  • Persons employed by the United States government driving a United States government motor vehicle on official business.
  • Any non-resident working for a firm on a contract for the United States government. (This exemption is only for 60 days.)
  • Any non-resident attending college in Florida.
  • Persons who drive only vehicles like farm tractors or road machines temporarily on the highway may drive without a license.
  • A licensed driver who lives in another state and travels regularly between his home and work in Florida.
  • Non-resident migrant farm workers even though they are employed or place children in the public schools, providing they have a valid license from their home state.
  • Members of the Armed Forces stationed in Florida and their dependents, with these exceptions:
    1. Service member or spouse claims homestead exemption (All drivers in family must obtain Florida licenses),
    2. Service member becomes employed (All drivers in family must obtain Florida licenses),
    3. Spouse becomes employed (Spouse and children who drive must obtain Florida licenses),
    4. Child becomes employed (Only employed child who drives must obtain Florida license)

Learner's Driver License

A person who holds a Learner's license must be accompanied by a licensed driver, 21 years of age or older, who occupies the front passenger seat closest to the right of the driver.

Drivers can only drive during daylight hours during the first three months from the original issue date and must be accompanied by a licensed driver, 21 years or older who occupies the front passenger seat. After the first three months, drivers may operate a vehicle from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. with a licensed driver, 21 years of age or older, who occupies the front passenger seat. Drivers with a Learner's license are ineligible for a motorcycle endorsement.


  • Be at least 15 years old.
  • Pass vision, road signs and road rules tests.
  • Have the signature of one parent (or guardian) on the parent consent form, if under age 18.
  • Completion of Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education Course.
  • Two forms of identification (see Identifying Yourself).
  • Social Security Number.
  • Must be in compliance with school attendance, if under 18.

The 2000 Florida Legislature amended section 322.05, Florida Statutes, changing the requirements to obtain a Class E license for a driver under the age of 18 holding a learner's license. The following requirements must be met in order to obtain a regular Class E license if a learner's license is issued on or after October 1, 2000:

  • Must hold the learner's license for 12 months or until the 18th birthday.
  • Must have NO convictions 12 months from the issue date of the Learner's license.
  • May have one traffic conviction within 12 months from the issue date of the learner's license, if adjudication is withheld.
  • A parent, legal guardian or responsible adult over 21 years old, must certify that the driver has 50 hours of driving experience, of which 10 hours must be at night.

Parent's Consent for Minors

If you are under 18 and are not married, your license application must be signed by one parent or legal guardian. STEP-PARENTS MAY NOT SIGN FOR YOU UNLESS THEY HAVE LEGALLY ADOPTED YOU. Proof of guardianship is required. The application must be signed in front of the examiner or a notary public. Whoever signs your application agrees to take responsibility with you for your driving. If the signer decides not to accept responsibility for your driving, your license will be canceled. To cancel the license, the signer must write a letter to the department requesting to withdraw their consent for the minor driver. Include the complete name, date of birth and driver license number of the minor driver in the letter.


Search your question here